Thursday, July 17, 2008

In Montreal: My personal restaurants address book

As I am a local, I thought it would be interesting to share my personal restaurants address book. I hope this will inspire you...

Au Pied De Cochon: Quebec modern "terroir" food. This place is absolutely unique...
Located on Duluth street, east form St-Denis.

Steak et Frites (bring your own wine)
:
3 locations: L'hotel W (downtown), St-Paul street, Laurier street (Cote-des-Neiges and Parc)

M. Burger: Very innovative, "customizable" burgers
Located on Drummond, north from Maisoneuve.


For Grec food, the place to be is Duluth street, east from St-Denis. Several "bring your own wine" places.

Little Italy neighborhood is located around the Jean-Talon metro station (orange line). It's not downtown but it's the place to be for great Italian food (St-Laurent, corner Jean-Talon).

For some great Cuisine Francaise restaurants, I suggest to go on Rachel Street, east from St-Denis. Several "bring your own wine", very classy but affordable (CAN$ 20-30) restaurants (especially when you bring your wine). The "917" and "Poisson Rouge" are particularly recommended.

Last, not the least: Poutine! You have to try it, it's a local, greasy meal unique to Quebec. I suggest "La Banquise" corner Rachel and Papineau. See more at Montreal Poutine.

1 comment:

Sebastien Guillot said...

That brings an important question:
"Where to find wine ?"
In Quebec, you can find wine at any grocery store (Metro, Provigo, IGA, ...) or at any Depanneur (convenience store in english). However, for good wines, I advice that you buy it at the SAQ (www.saq.com), the "Societe des Alcools du Quebec". There, you will find better wine and more choices (slightly more expensive though). Finally, I will also add an advice that is more personal: "Don't buy a wine bottle with a animal drawn on the tag". Whether it is a kangaroo, a rabbit, a zebra,..., the wine will most likely cause disappointment. This is a trend that I have observed and seems to be true even though I haven't try all of them.